Wednesday, May 30, 2007

a canadian icon

Did you get a chance to go to the AGO for the Emily Carr: New Perspectives on a Canadian Icon exhibit? It was a real treat!

I've been to the city several times since it opened on March 3rd, but it never seemed to fit into my busy schedule of work, shopping, eating yummy food and visiting with friends. We made a quick trip down on the closing weekend (Victoria Day weekend) and it was well worth it. Myself, I find that I "tap out" after about an hour or so at a museum, after which I cease to register any more images.

It was definitely a treat to see two of Emily Carr's hooked rugs. The first one in the exhibit was the Killer Whale Rug (c. 1927). It's in pretty good shape for 80 years old!


The other rug was her Double Eagle Rug (c. 1924-1930). Some of you might recognize this pattern - it is one of the ones that Rittermere Hurst Field has acquired the rights to sell. My auntie Betty is currently working on this pattern. (my apologies for the picture quality, it's a picture of a picture in a book)


I would love to write more, but I'm out of time. If I try to finish, there'll be no post today....and the pictures are already 10 days old!