Sunday, October 14, 2007

day two: Halifax

After a good night's sleep, we awoke to a gorgeous sunny day in Halifax this morning. After a quick (and very yummy) coffee at the place across the street, we started walking down along the waterfront. It is such a nice time of year to be here - it would be hard to share the space another time with all of the normal summer tourists ;-)

This is such a cliche, but it really happened this morning...

We saw this container ship, too. It is amazing that all of that cargo can travel together (and not at all surprising that so often some of the containers are lost at sea - they are stacked pretty high).

I think that I am ready to move into this place.... yeah, right!

The highlight of the day for me was seeing the Maud Lewis house at the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia. I had seen pictures and heard stories before, but nothing compares to seeing it up close and personal. It truly is very, very small. It is difficult to imagine a single person living in such a small space, not to mention a couple. There is a no photography policy in place at the museum...but I was able to snap this picture of Mum and AB by this beautiful bird, right outside the doors...

We saw lots of beautiful handcrafts today. So far nothing is going to be taking up residence in my suitcase, but I'm sure I won't be coming home empty-handed.

We got surprised by the rain this afternoon, but thankfully it was short-lived. This afternoon, we went down to Piers 21 and 22 and also checked out the Mary Black Gallery.

Tonight we strolled along the waterfront again, and it looked quite different from this morning. We had a delicious dinner at McKelvie's - yummy seafood (scallops, shrimp and salmon). So far I've kept true to my promise of eating seafood every day ;-)