Friday, November 09, 2007

still here

Well, I've been a bit lazy with my posting this week...sorry! I've been a little busy playing around with my new computer at work. It's been fun, and I'm thinking that my eyes should be adjusted to the (much) bigger screen by sometime next week. If you're in the market for a new computer, I've been using Macs for the last 8 years or so and Ican't say enough good about them. Meow, meow.

I've also been knitting on the Christmas scarves. I did a quick count and I think that I need 9 or 10 to give as gifts. I'm more than halfway there (not counting the washing and blocking, of course).

I abandoned the green #8 cut strip scarf...and instead hooked one with #6 on the same 12mm needles. It worked out a lot better (sorry, no pictures yet). From choosing the wool, to cutting, to knotting, to knitting, and fringing, the project was completed in the same evening. Gotta love that! I was a little worried that it would be a bit bulky, since I like to loop my scarves around my neck....so I just decreased some stitches in the middle section to make it a little narrower. It worked out alright.

I have vowed that I will not purchase ANY more yarn to knit these scarves. Consequently it's getting down to some pretty slim pickings. I'm sure that I'll be raiding my wool fabric stash to knit more strip scarves before too much longer. It semi-defeats the purchase of using up the yarn - but at least I'm not adding to the problem buy purchasing more. Right?

· · · · · · · · ·

Bye bye Ultrasuede, hello wool. Hand-sewn wool trim can give a much better finish than the machine-sewn Ultrasuede...and I have finally acquiesced. As much as I love the durability and feel of the Ultrasuede, the hassle of attaching it is too much to bear sometimes. I've finally worked up the nerve to rip out the top trim off on the owl purse (I just realized that I hadn't posted a picture of the completely finished purse - sorry!). I was not very happy with the way it sewed together. After using the purse for the week I was East, I knew that some modifications were necessary.

The Ultrasuede is all off now, the plan is made and wool is cut out. I'm still waiting for my sewing machine to come home....so I'll be sewing it together at my folks tonight, I hope. I'll be sure to take some pictures of the new finishing. Next week, the purse will be going to it's new home with AJ - but I'll still be able to see it regularly ;-)

Have a great weekend everyone! It looks like it will be good hooking weather ;-)