Thursday, November 01, 2007

welcome to november

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month! That's what my childhood best friend Ruth and I would say (and do!) to one another when we were little. October was a busy month - filled with lots of posts. I will try my best to maintain the same level of activity this month...

I am right on target to finish my runner. If I hadn't decided to add the extra 6", I could have finished the hooking last night. I've just got two more moves on the frame left to go (and then one more row of border around the first half...). I'm not sure what it is (inherent laziness, supreme efficiency or general dislike) that stops me from shifting my working around on my frame too much. It's not because it's hard or time consuming - I use a gripper frame. All I know is that I seem to take extra time lining everything up "just so" before I tug the backing into place...just so I won't have to readjust it. Weird. And silly.

I did snap a couple of quick pictures this morning....but they're a bit dark (the light is so crappy at this time of year). I will wait and (hopefully) take better ones this weekend, once I've beaten it into submission on the Elna.

I also want to try converting the picture files to black and white to check out the value distribution over the whole area. Have you ever tried this? I've really been trying to add more lights and darks to my work...and it's a challenge, for sure. The last time I've added my own work in show and tell section of the R.U.G. sack, the design motifs of the owl and flowers were barely recognizable....

Although I have used a lot of different colours and wools, they have all been very close in value to one another. I'm looking forward to being able to measure my success (or not) with my latest piece. I'll post some pictures of that, too.