Saturday, October 25, 2008

remaining highlights...

I'm determined to finish wrapping up the recap of our holiday exploits. My friend Wendie has a great series of posts about the actual symposium...and I encourage you to check them out here, here, here, here and here.


Some of the other wonderful places Mum and I visited while we were away include....

Linsmore Sheep Farm - home of the River John knitting needles that I have been quietly seeking since one of my first Fleece Artist kit's called for swing needles. I'm now the proud owner of two pairs!

Ghita Levin's pottery studio - Ghita was one of the speakers at the 2007 symposium...and makes the most beautiful wood-fired pottery. If I lived closer, I doubt I could have left without one of her large birds tucked into my bag. But I am happy with my little birds jug.

• Heidi's heavenly London Wul - Heidi is not only a delightful person, she has beautiful and irresistible wool in her shop. It was great to be able to visit with her again...and as in the past, our visit left me wishing we didn't live so far apart.

• the Fog Forest Gallery in nearby Sackville - on Tuesday night, Deanne invited us to the opening of their fibre arts exhibit. It is always great to see fibre arts given their due...and there were some very interesting 3-dimensional pieces of rug hooking (using hardware cloth as the foundation, I think).

• A trip to Amherst wouldn't be complete without a stop at Duncan's Pub. The first time I came to town for a workshop with Deanne, I ate here three nights in a row - the food was that good. This time I was here for longer, and still ate there 3 times...just not in a row ;-)

Just in case I haven't already said it enough times...it was a wonderful trip. My mum and I had some great mother-daughter time and it was good to get away for a while together.