Monday, November 03, 2008

marsha's peonies

A couple of weeks ago, when I was down East, I participated in the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival by teaching a purse workshop. It was a great day...and it was made all the more special because I could continue to visit with the participants for several days afterwards at the symposium and other festival events.

I was also able to reconnect with a few familiar faces, as well. I first met Marsha at the symposium last year, a few e-mails were exchanged, we met again at the OHCG Annual in Midland this past May, a few more e-mails were exchanged, and then I found out that she had registered for my class. It was comforting to know that there would be at least one person in my class I'd met before.

I cannot think of Marsha without remembering the frank comment she made when we we were driving through Midland. It was regarding teaching people to rug hook and she was saying that it doesn't take long to teach someone how to hook - you can even do it in 10 minutes, because "there's just one stitch". There is only one stitch - it can be pulled up a number of different ways, but it's a pretty basic movement. We often tend to make things more complicated than necessary...but it doesn't need to be this way.

Marsha sent me an e-mail last night to let me know that she's already finished her purse. She used a piece of buttery-soft green leather for the trim...and it looks gorgeous. Well done Marsha - I think you deserve a can of mushroom soup*! ;-)


*Inside class joke referring to the totally random can of mushroom soup we received with the delivery of our pizza. It was awarded to the newest hooker in the class.