Saturday, November 15, 2008

some rugs from the Shelburne Museum...

As I mentioned in my earlier post, we were fortunate to be able to go and see some of the Shelburne Museum's rug collection during our classes today. Although pictures were allowed, flash was not, so a couple of the photos are a little blurry. My apologies.

First up, here's Christmas Tree (date unknown). I think that I've seen this rug in at least one book before...


The Shelburne Museum Rug (circa 1955) is thought to have been hooked to commemorate the founding or an anniversary of the museum, since it contains a variety of historic artifacts and structures found on the grounds.


Molly Nye Tobey (1893-1984) created a masterpiece series of 50 Statehood rugs between 1046 and 1961. Each of the rug designs incorporate aspects of the geography, natural resources, agriculture, industry and history that are representative of each state. This is New York Rug...


This next rug (maker unknown) is circa 1955...


Dog in Diamond (1931) is not unfamiliar....


Jumbo the Elephant (circa 1930)...


Molly Nye Tobey's Nebraska Rug....


And I've saved one of my favourites for last...Molly Nye Toby's Basket of Flowers (1966)