Friday, December 19, 2008

quick scarf



If you follow any of the knitting blogs or if you're on Ravelry...you have no doubt happened upon a plethora of versions of this in all kinds of beautiful colourways. I know that it was love at first sight for me - if only I could handle that much 1 x 1 rib - without needing to be committed and without it taking me forever to knit!

When I was down East in October, I picked up a couple of skeins of Noro Cashmere Island (60% wool, 30% cashmere, 10% nylon) at Heidi's and I must say that it is so, so much better than any of the other Noro I've used. Not only is it a lot softer - I didn't have a single knot in either skein! (I hope that I haven't jinxed myself with this statement! I've had such terrible luck with knots other Noro lately - sometimes with TWO knots in a single ball resulting in dramatic and sudden and unwanted colour changes).

Anyway, back to this quick scarf.... It's knit entirely in garter stitch and it's just 16 stitches on 5.5mm DP needles - using just 1 skein of colour #5 and 1 skein of colour #6. I alternated yarns on each row, so you really need to use DP or circular needles (I prefer the DP - much more compact), because you'll be both knitting and purling in order to maintain the garter stitch pattern - and your next yarn won't always be on the right side.

Knitting it was a lot of fun - and curiosity of what the next batch of colours will look like will keep you up knitting way past your bedtime. I know that I will be making a bunch more of these....just as soon as I can get my hands on more yarn!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

In other news, I will be on Christmas holidays for the next two weeks...so posting may be even more erratic than usual. Best wishes to all of you for a fabulous holiday, lots of great family time, more than enough cheer and a little time to relax.