Tuesday, March 24, 2009

note to self

Sprinting to the finish is not always good. It can mean pain. It can mean disappointment. It can mean unnecessary delays. Stop. And think. First.


Do you notice anything a little "off" in the preceding photo?

I wish I had heeded my own advice towards the end of the day on Sunday. Here's what happened instead....

Everyday Carré
is the second new purse I've created using the same basic shape. While sewing the new purses together, I've been trying hard to keep careful notes and pictures of all of the various steps - to help me when I'm creating the instruction booklets for their assembly. Although this is the second such lining I've sewn together, I didn't really keep very good notes when I sewed the first lining (the rest of my notes were pretty good until this point ;-) ). I ended up guessing at the seam allowance I'd accounted for - and I'm a terrible guesser. In the end, the finished lining was just a little smidge too small to fit inside my purse. Since the top edge is on the bias, I wondered whether or not I could give it a little tug to stretch it out a bit (I only needed about 1/4"). It was not much later that I heard a loud rrrrrrrip! I dropped the lining like a hot potato, in my lap, and stared in shock at what I had just done. How could I be so stupid? I was so looking forward to having this purse finished, and now I was at a loss for what to do...

Rather than make another foolish, spur-of-the-moment decision, I thought that it was best to just sleep on it. If I were keeping this purse for myself, I likely would have just added a patch - but I can't contemplate doing the same thing to someone else. I didn't have enough of the same fabric to replace the damaged piece, so today I visited my local quilt shop and picked out a few new batiks. The one I'd originally used is long gone, so I'm afraid I'll be starting again from square one - just as soon as I'm home again. (I'm leaving again on a work road trip for 4 days...and won't be home until Saturday night. I'll try to post from the road.)