Sunday, April 19, 2009

Moira Mat Makers Hook-In

What a great time in Belleville! The Hook-In was a lot of fun, and although I rambled through my talk, it went well. Apart from the lively conversation, the very yummy treats and beautiful projects at the actual hook-in, one of the highlights took place on Friday evening. Glenn, my hostess with the mostess, invited some of the members of her group over for a delicious dinner. It was a great opportunity to meet people and get to know some of the ladies a little bit better.

Their group has been working on a messenger bag project for the last while, and many of the finished bags were on display at the hook-in. I hope they don't mind my showing them here....and I also hope that someone will fill me in on the missing names (thanks Christine! ;-) )

Flo Woods

Wendy Nickerson

Christine Walker-Bird

Mary Anne Keast

Glenn Ryley Cotton

Gloria Jonkman

Glennyce Sinclair

Joan Foster

Maribeth Bateman
This final purse just needs to be sewn together, but it gives you an idea of how they are all constructed.

Even though I have made over 20 hooked purses, I don't know everything....and I love to get new ideas. The best tip I picked up over the weekend was to wax upholstery thread before hand-sewing. Blocks of wax for this purpose are available at Fabricland. By running your thread through the wax prior to sewing, it not only makes it slide a little more easily, it also helps to preserve the thread and make it waterproof. Thanks ladies, I am going to try this...

• • • • • • •

The Grayson e. handles were very popular and although I was thrilled by the frenzy, I was also feeling a little anxious about having so few left to bring with me to a couple of events next month. In case you're wondering why this would be a problem....apparently the lady who makes the handles received a defective batch of leather and this pushed her production back. Some items won't be available for two or three months. Luckily, I've been able to order a few more items that are in stock and they will soon be on their way...in lots of time for RUG and the Annual. Included in this shipment will be a number of narrow straps, just like those the ladies used on their messenger bags (above).