Monday, May 04, 2009

another done...


At the end of last week, I had my (Wendie is a) Jeanius bag at the stage where all of the remaining finishing could be done by hand. My plan was to bring it with me to R.U.G., where I could sit quietly and stitch. This plan was all well and good - until I realized that I'd forgotten (or lost) my spool of upholstery thread!

It's been said that "necessity is the mother of invention"....and it rang true again this weekend. After putting out my first call for thread of any kind, and receiving no response....I sat stewing for a few minutes. It wasn't long before my eyes fell upon my Mum's cone of whipping yarn - it was the perfect black-brown for my purse. Rather than whipping the whole outside edge, I kept with my original plan of rolling both the wool and linen seam allowance forward. Without thread to secure the jelly roll, I opted to secure it with blanket stitches (with yarn). Not only did this allow progress to continue, it also broke up the purple frame - without which I think the purple would have been too dominant.

I didn't get the whole thing finished at R.U.G., but it was all done before I headed to bed on Saturday night. I love it.


I'm still getting used to the size -- it's much smaller than the purse I've been toting around since last Fall -- and I don't have room for everything I've gotten in the habit of carrying. This isn't necessary a bad thing, though....just a sign that it's time to down-size to just the essentials. Like so many things in my life and society in general, there's just too much "stuff", and my purse is no exception.