Tuesday, October 13, 2009

N.S. Day Two: Purse Workshop

Today was a great day. Apart from forgetting to take any pictures, and the fact that I still have my cold....all of the rest was pretty great.

My class was full - full of lovely people, including two bloggers, people from 3 provinces (4 if you count Ontario!), and one lady from the US. Everyone got along famously, and the day zoomed by, as it always does when you're having fun. Having everyone working on the same basic shape (their choice of my Bala bag patterns) made it a lot easier for me and certainly a little less chaotic.


Three ladies came with their hooking complete and the finishing started -- one was able to leave class with a finished purse, which is definitely a first for me ;-)

(Thank you for the photos Carmella! ;-) )

After class was finished, we headed over to Deanne's new studio/shop for a quick visit. It's a wonderful space....and I must say that her new dye kitchen gave me a serious case of green-eye. I did a little bit of shopping, including a couple of skeins dyed by the Wool Fairy and a very cool looking hook (that I tried out by pulling a few loops on Deanne's hooking frame -- I ripped them out, of course!)

We had a quick trip to Sackville for supper at Joey's - they make awesome pizza! Then it was back to Amherst for the Fibre Arts Festival's opening reception. It was a great chance to reconnect with some friends I met last year - and meet some new folks, too. On display were several beautiful art quilts by fibre artist and writer Laurie Swim. I happily added her newest book to my library...

I know that it will be one of those books that I keep coming back to, and never get tired of looking at....so many beautiful pictures -- and I haven't even peeked at the stories yet!

Tomorrow is the first day of our class....I'm still not sure how it will all unfold, but hopefully I can pull together a new project that is inspiring -- and one for which I brought the right wools!