Monday, November 02, 2009

Fall back....

How did you spend your extra hour yesterday? I'm pretty sure I spent mine raking and hauling leaves at my folks (boy those trees have grown in the last 20+ year -- I'm sure there are twice as many as there used to be!), but maybe I spent it knitting....


I bought this yarn many years ago (and 4 locations ago for Sheepstrings!) and knit it into a sweater. This was back before I was adventurous enough to sew my knitting together - when I counted on my mother to help with this step. So the sweater pieces sat in a basket at her house for several years....I fell out of love with it....it finally got finished, but I never wore it. At the last R.U.G., I brought it to rip out...while I was sitting and listening. During the meeting, Helen was knitting a cute cardigan/shrug out of the same yarn (different colourway)....and I knew right away how my sweater would be reincarnated.

My mum kindly skeined the yarn and washed it....and I rewound it into balls again late last week. The knitting started on Friday night and I'm guessing I'm already at least a third done (I've knit more since I took this picture). Because Noro is a self-striping yarn, it's fun to play around with the colours....and this time around I decided to knit with two balls at once, switching every row. I'm really loving how it breaks up the bands of colour in a fun, yet subtle way. It's enjoyable to knit, because the colours are always changing -- and you keep knitting, just to see what happens next. If I can keep at this pace, I might be done in time to wear it when I'm in Vermont next week! ;-)