Wednesday, November 11, 2009

wool and fabric and woolen fabric

Today was a pretty fibre-filled day. We started off with a visit to Dorr....


If you've never been to Dorr before, I would imagine you will be pretty overwhelmed when you go for the first time -- it's not an uncommon reaction. There is so much selection and just so much wool that it is almost impossible to choose what you like -- or to reduce it down to what you can afford to buy.


Everywhere you look, there's wool....stacks of cut pieces, bins of remnants, bundles of cut strips, stacks of washed wool, piles of dyed wool, shelves of bolts....it's everywhere!

(and there are probably 8 times more different bolts to choose from -- and you still have to decide how much you want cut off!)

Since I inherited half of AJ's wool cupboard a couple of months ago, I really didn't need to buy very much wool. Actually, I didn't need to buy any wool....but I did allow myself to buy a few special pieces - mostly just the new wools that I've been anticipating seeing for a few weeks now. The new wools did not disappoint, and it was hard to limit my picks to just a few.

Here a few behind the scenes pictures....
The wool comes in rolls and then it's folded in half and wound into bolts using this special machine...


This is one of the back rooms, where bolts are wound and stored, and orders are packed....


Lots more bolts are stored in other rooms, like this one....


Like I said -- there is a lot of wool! ;-)

After all of the tough decisions had been made at Dorr, we headed down the road to visit Harrisville Yarns. I first discovered this company a couple of years ago....when Terry Dorr suggested we go and check it out. I was eager to see their chunky yarn and hopefully pick some up to hook with....and I did! Harrisville is a sweet little town and there are lots of old buildings...


We acted on their recommendation to go to the Harrisville General Store for lunch -- and we're very happy we did. It was delicious! I was unable to make up my mind, so I picked a few different things: a scoop of curried chicken salad (with potato, cashews, mango, celery, and grapes....mmmmm!), a scoop of vegetable fried rice (with lots of different veggies...and not a lot of frying), and a stuffed portobello mushroom (with cranberries and pecans....sooo good!)


Not only did they have great food (that's relatively healthy), it's a pretty cool place with a great atmosphere as well. There was an obvious focus on local goods -- and they recycle! (which sadly seems to be more the exception than the rule wherever I've travelled in the US...grrrr!)

Even their garbage cans were funky and cool!

We also made a stop in at New England Fabrics, where I bought some tiny buttons in case I decide to make more snow folks this year, and my mum bought some more batiks for my (I hope it's ready in time for Christmas) quilt.

All in all, it was a great day! We're heading back up to Shelburne tomorrow....where I'll start taking pictures of the rug show. I can't wait!