Monday, January 11, 2010

new and improved

Over the years I've used a few different methods of storing and organizing my wool strips. They have evolved from zip lock bags (too awkward), to little baskets (too small), to cloth bins (too flimsy), and finally to shoe boxes (shoe storage bins, actually).

Last Fall at her studio, I noticed that Martina used large lettuce/salad containers to hold her strips and I immediately thought this might be the solution I've been needing (my cloth bins were flopping all over the place and the resulting Pisas were quite precarious - and had tumbled more than once!). I figured I would start eating more salad....and hoped that before long I'd have enough. It wasn't quite that easy. I needed a lot of bins.

Fortuitously, the big snow storm just before Christmas brought me to $@##-*@^% (yes, that big box store I try to avoid at all costs...sorry world!) and while I was there I looked for some alternative storage bins. I quickly found - and decided to buy - a bunch of the shoe bins. Why? They are light weight, but with sturdy sides - and lids! I can easily stack them without worrying about the emptier ones getting smooshed. They were only $1.19 each (or thereabouts). I can see what colour is inside, so I can quickly find the bin I'm looking for without having to look inside 12 others first. And, they hold a reasonable amount of wool. So far, the only complaint I have is that I wish I'd bought more!