Monday, March 08, 2010

a sign of impatience


Several years ago, my one and only dye pot sprung a leak in the middle of my dyeing session. It was an old enamel pot and one of the chips finally gave way.

At a loss for what to do - I had a sink full of wet wool - I looked in my cupboard to see what I might be able to use. My eyes fell on a Lagostina pot I'd purchased a couple of years earlier from Winners....and with barely another thought, it was on the stove. Since I can no longer use it for cooking, I make a point of hauling it out almost every time I dye. Even though it's a little smaller than I'd like, I use it anyway....in my quest to get the CPU (cost per use) down to mere pennies. What was a sure sign of instant gratification and foolishness has remained a useful tool. With it's solid bottom and thick sides, I'm sure it will outlast me -- and it will owe me nothing. At least that's what I keep telling myself...