Friday, April 16, 2010

flashback Friday

I think I'm pretty much posted all of the mats and pieces I made before I started blogging....so today's mats were made just a couple of months into my life as a blogger (when my posts were extremely sporadic). My sister was on my blog the other day and complained to me yesterday about the absence of pictures of her rug...so even though I first posted about them back in December 2006, I promised they would make a reappearance today.

My oldest sister, Chris, has four kids and lots of pets -- there have been many, many pets over the years, so I decided to pay tribute to the current crop of pets in this checkerboard....


I stole the idea for only using part of each pet from a previous rug I started years ago (and still only one pet or about 1/15th of the rug has been hooked). Since simplified matters, and I was on a deadline, I think it worked out well. At the time I made the mat, they had only these 10 pets....and I laughed out loud when my nephew asked me a year or two later when I was going to fix it -- and replace the departed pets with the current crop. Not a chance!

I have had to fix the mat a couple of times over the years...mostly pulled loops caused by the cat, that I've noticed while visiting. I've resorted to using a dinner fork and another time, a big needle, to pull up a couple of loops on these occasions....what different things have you used when a hook's been out of reach?

And just to keep things even (as we sisters ought to), here is the mat I made for my other older sister, Sandra's, two kids....


It's aptly called Six Feet Under, since I watched most of the series while hooking this piece....and it commemorates a particularly special day of looking for turtles with Wyatt and Sienna on my parents lake, where we saw a record number. I know there is not enough contrast in values in this piece...but my excuse is that the rug is true to nature -- it's difficult to spot turtles in real life, too.