Friday, May 07, 2010

flashback Friday - Grandma's Orientals

Let's hope the second time's the charm -- I was up early this morning, plucking away cropping and resizing pictures...when the power went out. Needless to say, I was wishing that I had finished getting ready for work first, instead of starting to work on my post....but c'est la vie.

Both AJ and my Grandma hooked many Oriental pieces. Family legend has it that my Grandma would take on an large rug project each year and spend the winter month hooking away on it. I will try to arrange the photos in order, from largest to smallest, but since it's been years since I've seen a couple of the rugs, I have to resort to guessing a little.

This first rug is my cousin's....and I just love the colours that Grandma used -- especially the rusty red, with the turquoise and the browns....mmmmm. I've only seen this once before, but thought it was beautiful. Hooking all of those repeating motifs must have resulted in some serious trance time...


This rug belongs to my Aunt. I was surprised to realize that AJ had hooked the same pattern, but with different colours and different finishing....so it wasn't immediately obvious to me.


You may recognize this next one.....since it's been featured in the background of many of my photos. It's my mum's rug, but it's been living with me for over 10 years. It's about 4.5' by 6.5' and the background in the border and corners has faded quite a bit, it used to be much bluer.....


This is another of my -- oops, I mean my Mum's -- rugs......more faded blues, but still very lovely. It's about 4' by 6'.....


This is the only piece of my Grandma's hooking that is truly mine. It's about 2' by 3'....and although the colours are not really my favourites, I treasure it all the same.


This is my sister Sandra's mat....it's about the same size as mine, but hooked in more traditional colours.


P.S. If you click on any of the photos, they will open in a new window and you can see a larger image, with more detail.