Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Happy New Year!

I can't believe that today is the 'Sunday' of my holidays....a time to organize and prepare for the return to reality tomorrow, when I return to work. This past two weeks has been the most wonderful rest for me. I've read (and read and read some more), watched some great movies, played games, gone tubing with the kids, almost knit a shawl, prepared and eaten many yummy things, visited with lots of family, and, of course hooked on Jumbo. It's been a time for relaxing and retreating, and I've enjoyed taking a bit of a tech break from my blog, reading other blogs and answering e-mail (and I will be spending time later today getting caught up, and clearing out my inbox).

A new year is usually a time for contemplation about changes you would like to make in your life. It's definitely not a clean slate -- and there is no reason why you need to wait for January 1st -- but for the first time in many years, I've been thinking about some resolutions that I would like to make. They are not so crazy that it will be impossible to accomplish them, but I do realize that for me having a defined goal is very important.

One of my resolutions is to read more books. I used to read A LOT, but in the last few years, I've been putting books aside in favour of other things, like hooking and knitting. Reading takes a lot of time and single focus, and I tend to gorge on books (reading at the exclusion of most everything else until I read the last page, for fear that I won't find time to get back to the story otherwise). Over the holidays, I was reminded how much I enjoy reading. I also took my time and read the same book over the course of 3-4 days...and re-learned that it's possible to savour a story. My reading goal for 2011 is to read a book an average of every 2 weeks, for a total of 26 novels over the year. I will be tracking my progress on the sidebar, if you're curious. I have quite a stack of books awaiting my attention, but I am always open to suggestions for a great read....and if you are looking for something new, might I recommend Louise Penny? I have just started book number three.

I also want to get my website online this year. I registered my domain a couple of years ago, but just haven't seemed to be able to move beyond that first step. My technology goal is that www.fisheyerugs.com will be a reality by Fall 2011. I think it's going to take a lot of time, thought, creativity and learning to make this happen.

Of course I have a whole list of other things I want to accomplish this year, some personal, some business, and some very vague notions....but that's the beauty of a new year: it's a time of hope and endless possibilities.