Thursday, September 29, 2011

Day 12: London

On Sunday I started my day with a trip to the V&A. It's a place that's been on my bucket list since I read Kaffe Fassett's early knitting and needlepoint books, while I was still in high school.....and it did not disappoint. I think I could easily fill the rest of my day hooking all of the rug ideas that I had while wandering the halls of this inspiring place. It's definitely the type of place that you could visit over and over, and not run out of new things to see.





Again, I took a lot of photos, but found that I had to remind myself to concentrate on what I was looking at -- seeing it while I had the chance to really look, rather than focusing on trying to capture shots of everything before me. It's such a challenge for me, especially knowing that I might not return again. Here are just a few of the interesting things I saw....some of the other pictures I've taken might inspire some future rugs (and I will share the source then) :-)









What really impressed me about the V&A was it's a ability to mix the old with the new. They have several contemporary features mixed in with all of the wonderful decorative arts of the past....including a really neat display of fabric designed with an iPad (along with stations set up so that you could try your hand at the same) and garments and furniture made with said fabric. Very cool.



There were also some very interesting and attractive contemporary works by Hadieh Shafie that I loved upon first sight. So many wonderful colours in these pieces and others on her site....it makes me want to hook a cat's paw rug. Right. This. Minute.



I was there for hours -- probably twice as long as most museums I visit -- and left with some areas still undiscovered. There are just sooooo many things in a place this size, it's just not possible to take them all in in a single visit.


The next stop was Harrod's....just so that I could see it and say that I had been. To be quite honest, I was a little disappointed here -- IMHO it's just like any other high end department store, such as Sak's 5th Avenue in NYC or Holt Renfrew on Bloor Street in Toronto.

From there, I headed back to Liberty to pick up a little bit more fabric (I was afraid I had been a little stingy the previous day)....and also took a bit more time to wander around the whole store. They have a lovely area filled-to-almost-bursting with rugs and carpets....a real treasure trove.



From there, I shopped a little more in the area, as I made my way to the train station....and went home to rest my weary feet.