Thursday, June 28, 2012

I think I just made 7 jars of strawberry syrup....

...when I was trying to make jam!


I've never made jam before (and probably still haven't yet, either! LOL!), but I've been wanting to make some since last Fall.  So today I trotted off to the farmer's market to buy a couple of 2L baskets of strawberries, quickly followed by a stop at Canadian Tire for jars.  A last-minute reminder to pick up sugar, and I was all set to get started.


The recipe I used came from here and though I added a few extra strawberries (I didn't pack them in when I measured and was a bit afraid it was too syrupy early on, so I added a generous extra cup)....I still find it's incredibly sweet. I tried to crush half of the berries and left the other half sliced for some chunks in the jam....so this might explain some of the extra syrup. 

I am keen to see if it sets overnight and if all of my jars seal properly.   In the meantime, I am already on the hunt for a new recipe to try out next Thursday (market day!).  Any suggestions for idiot-proof strawberry jam?  So far I'm liking the sounds of this one...but I would love to get some other ideas...