Monday, September 17, 2012

I'm so excited....

I can hardly contain myself.  About a year ago I heard about a special trip to Guatemala for rug hookers that took place in February.  I wanted to go so badly, but I had just returned from England, and just couldn't swing it.  I promised myself that if it happened again next year, I would seriously consider going.  And guess what?  It's happening!

So in honour of turning the big 4-0 next March, I am gifting myself with a trip of a lifetime.  Actually all of the classes I am teaching this fall will be treating me....but it will be no less memorable, I am sure.


This group is near Chichicastenango. The rugs made w/a wide mixture of recycled fabrics- very little wool in their rugs because wool does not show up in the used clothing stores (pacas) in Guatemala.  (Photo from Mary Anne Wise). 
If you haven't heard about this trip yet and/or want more information, you can download the brochure here or directly from Cultural Cloth.  All proceeds benefit the non-governmental organization on the ground in Guatemala called Thirteen Threads, a group that helps over 500 women in democracy building skills, health and education opportunities (like rug hooking classes).  I heard the tour was about half-full or more, but there are still a few spots available. 

Mary Anne Wise is happy to connect interested people with participants from this year's tour.  Her email address is wisemaryanne AT gmail DOT com